The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Things about which I am Greatly Relieved Upon Being Offered the Peace Corps Volunteer Leader Position


Being able to see Stephen graduate

Not having to worry about a new chimbushi (Pit latrines do fill up. After five and a half years of PCVs using it, mine was becoming dangerously full and a new one needed to be built.)

Not having to dig a new trash pit (this same day, I went and started to dig one anyways. My ataata and a neighbor rushed over to help me. Initiative is all it takes?)

No anxiety about what I will do for the next year

No anxiety about whether or not I will be hired as PCVL

No anxiety about if my bicycle will last another year (I was doing great compared to some of my friends’ rides. Those things were barely hanging on)

No worrying about the wet moulder of rainy season

Being able to continue being a PCV without being uncomfortable

Far fewer chimbushis (again with the pit latrines. Using them is fine. I just don’t like that you have to go outside at night or that they’re perfect hangout spots for snakes, bats, rodents, giant crickets, and big ol’ spiders)

The end of this stagnation in the village

The number of friends and peers who have great confidence in my future success

My host family is understanding and accepting of my switch to Central Province

My future boss is also understanding and communicative in such a refreshing way

I will be around people most, if not all the time

11 July 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment