The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government

Friday, March 2, 2018

Remeant

Remeant (adj)- coming back, returning

Being in Port Elizabeth again was staggering. Each view brought waves and waves of nostalgia, of places I didn’t know I remembered and of memories long buried. Many, many of the memories were with Stephen, so a remeant trip in that city with him made the nostalgia even grander. 

It was overwhelming how much of the city stayed the same while it was me that had changed. I remember the Walmer township being one of the first views from the plane and in 2012, I thought to myself, “THIS is the real face of poverty.” This time, I was amazed to see how NICE the township looked, in comparison to villages and some parts of Lusaka, I presume. The houses have plaster walls, are painted bright colours, have electricity and metal roofs, and have communal water sources. I’m remembering the Cape Town township I stayed in had running water inside the house, too. 

Throughout PE, nice houses and businesses accent their gazebos and braais with thatched roofing for an authentic African look (in my external opinion). In stark contrast, thatched roofing is used in the village setting because it is free to grow, harvest, and build. 

Things I remember being dowdy in South Africa looked outright luxurious this time around. Paved streets with curbs, planted flower gardens, numbers on houses, even roundabouts on small streets: all just exclaimed development! People dress nicely, the taxis are still new and appear solid (I rode in one in Lusaka that had loose wooden planks as a floor and you could see the road underneath), and people have options. 

The economic and racial disparities were still shocking to me. I guess, this time I could see how much wealth is present in the municipality, if not in the society as a whole. There are ritzy cafes, security details, billboards, traffic control measures, and active construction works. What is lacking is support infrastructure: there were still hungry, homeless people on street corners, without shelters or social welfare available to offer help. 

Maybe a city inures us to collectivism. Here in Zambia, even lazy drunkards belong to families, are tolerated and fed, because where else could they belong? In the city, we assume SOMEONE ELSE will take care of them. In some cities, that may even be true. 

7 September 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment