The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

1/Boondoggle

1/Boondoggle

Apologies for a less than loquacious account- I just wanted to post an update to village life quickly before I head out of town and away from internet access.

This week marks a month since moving to the village (although I'm in the provincial capital this week for meetings) and even looking back on what I wrote three weeks ago, I can see a huge difference in my integration, my language skills, my work prospects, and my settled-in-ness (what a compound word).

In the past few weeks, I have not be extraordinarily busy but I have kept occupied and made some connections in  my village and catchment area. I took myself on a walk to the clinic and met the local clinic worker, a lovely young woman who shared details of Zambia's health system. On my walk, I wandered to the next village, greeting people, and ended up running into a former counterpart of the previous volunteer at my site. We sat and talked and planned a community meeting for the next week. Other volunteers have said the work "just happens." The idea of work "just happening" while I sit and twiddle my thumbs was unsettling- I felt the need to go out and find work. My host family is very helpful and supportive but has been encouraging me to stay in, to become accustomed to life in the village. For one of the first times in my life, I'm taking the requisite initiative to *get stuff done* As unsteady as it feels, it is also necessary. Since moving in, I've met the clinic worker and talked about helping with malaria work, met the new headmaster at the equivalent of middle school in my community and chatted about plans for me to teach science, met various government officers in Ikelenge, met with an immigration officer and renewed my pre-work permit paperwork, attended an agricultural show for the district, met with other Peace Corps Volunteers in the district, chatted briefly with a few fish farmers in my area, greeted neighbors copiously, attended church, visited the chief (which deserves its own account, to come), and goofed around with the children who live near the spot where I have network in my village.

In addition, I have had two community meetings with two different villages in my catchment area. While the Lunda is still somewhat elusive to me, I have benefited from wonderful counterparts who translate for me. We used participatory tools to do a needs assessment for the community, as well as discuss daily schedules and existing strengths in the area. The outcome of both of these meetings was nutrition groups, especially focusing on helping  mothers ensure their children grow well. I've started meetings with one of the groups so far and it has been going well. Perhaps more enthusiasm than organization as yet.

The fish farming work is still dragging its feet (or rather I'm dragging on creating it, if I'm the active party here now) but I'm content with the work I have,  the lifestyle I'm leading, and the prospects for the next two years. And it's only one month into community entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment