The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the U.S. Government

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Entelechy

Entelechy (n)- the actualization of form-giving cause, as contrasted with potential existence.

Where my first knowledge of the Peace Corps came from, I don't know, but it has always been a dream of mine. Someday, once I was grown up, maybe I would travel to a faraway country and spend a few years of my life trying to help others. Even in it's childlike simplicity, I still like the idea.

That vague, well-intentioned plan of wanting to join the Peace Corps someday has quite suddenly seized entelechy. I have accepted a position with the Peace Corps and will be living in Zambia for the next two years. I will be a part of the Rural Aquaculture Promotion (RAP) project and my specific title will be a Rural Fish Culture Extension Agent.

The reality of this is slowly, slowly setting in. In small doses and tiny thought bubbles, I'm beginning to realize the actualization of my new job:

The reality of trying to pack for two years away (this could be going better at present)

The reality of moving thousands of miles away from friends and family*

The reality of needing to adjust to a foreign culture

The reality of learning a new language in order to communicate with the people of my host country (Zambia has about 72 unofficial, mostly tribal languages. I'll be learning one of six major languages most common to my assigned village. I'll keep ya posted!)

The reality of living abroad as an American and feeling disconnected to current events in our country

The reality of serving as a representative for our country (eep)

The reality of living without the comforts I'm accustomed to (there will likely be no electricity, running water, or internet access in my village)

The reality of moving to a country where people face an entire host of challenges to everyday life that are utterly unimaginable to me. Living with the constant risk of HIV/AIDS, malaria, parasites, venomous snakes, limited access to healthcare, malnutrition, and all sorts of other issues must require a different kind of strength.

The reality of living in a country where homosexuality is illegal and women are commonly seen as subservient to men (Female literacy is on the rise in Zambia, but still the rate of female literacy as a proportion of male literacy is 72%, Unicef Zambia stats)

The reality of my actions possibly being able to improve people's nutrition and quality of life, even in small ways

The reality of my actions possibly being able to prevent over-harvesting of existing ecosystems

The reality of following through on that dream of mine. Six-year-old me is proud of twenty four-year-old me.

The reality that I'm leaving, and therefore must be ready, in six days!

*I'm lucky enough to be closer to my sweetheart and his lovely family while I'm in Zambia. The feeling of having someone familiar in the same time zone, on the same continent, is astoundingly reassuring.

1 comment:

  1. Sixty-year-old YOU will be proud of twenty four-year old YOU, too!

    ReplyDelete